Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Caramel-Chocolate Brownies

a.k.a. A little bit of HEAVEN!

I made this recipe for the first time last night for my brother-in-law's birthday dinner. I was expecting them to turn out fine, but I was PLEASANTLY SURPRISED! They were fantastic!

This is one of those semi-homemade deals.

Ingredients:
1 box chocolate cake mix (I used German chocolate)
1 14-oz can evaporated milk, divided
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
1-2 cups chocolate chips, semisweet or milk chocolate (I did half of each)
50 caramels, unwrapped

Instructions:
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, 2/3 cup evaporated milk and melted butter. If adding nuts, do it now. Stir well until lumps are gone. Batter will be thick. Spread half of batter into bottom a greased 9x13 pan/dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine remainder of evaporated milk with caramels in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until all caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
After 15 minutes of baking, bring cake/brownie out of oven. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over cake/brownie. Then pour caramel mix evenly over cake/brownie. Lastly, drop remaining cake/brownie batter by spoonfuls over top. Bake for another 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until set in middle.
Let cool before cutting/serving.

I served the squares slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I won't go into details about the gluttony that ensued.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Your recipes look awesome. Maybe I shouldn't have looked at this blog! There goes my diet - lol. I'm throwing a baby shower for my sister in law and I'm going to try out your hummus. Sounds so yummy!