Saturday, December 13, 2008

Zuppa Toscana

This is my version of the soup made famous by Olive Garden. It's very hearty and absolutely delicious.

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground Italian sausage (I used turkey sausage)
1 large onion, chopped
4-5 small to medium potatoes, diced (I used red potatoes)
1/2 small star pasta (optional)
5-6 cups water
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1-2 tbs chicken bullion flakes (adjust to your taste)
garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
2-3 cups kale leaves, torn into small pieces (no stems)
2 cups half and half or heavy cream

Instructions:
In a large stock pot or dutch oven, brown sausage on medium-high heat until no longer pink. Add onion, potato, star pasta and water. Stir well. Reduce heat to medium. Add red pepper flakes, chicken bullion, garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer on medium +/- 15 minutes. Turn heat down to medium-low. Stir in half and half and kale. Simmer another 10-15 minutes on medium-low heat. If soup is too thick, add water in 1-cup increments until desired consistency is reached. I like my soup fairly thick and chunky (I hate the word chunky!).

Delicious served with garlic toast!

No comments: