Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chili

I made this chili a few weeks ago and we thoroughly enjoyed it. So I decided to write down what I put in it since I don't ever follow a recipe when making chili. And consequently it turns out different each time I make it. Dave wanted me to write down this combo, though, so he can have this same chili again.

Ingredients:
2.5 - 3 lbs ground meat (I mixed turkey and beef), browned with garlic powder and salt and drained
2 packs chili seasoning mix
2 bell peppers, diced (I chopped them up fine in the food processor)
1 large onion, diced (again, I used the food processor)
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
1 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 regular sized jar Ragu Traditional sauce
1 can chili beans in sauce, not drained
2 cups water
2-3 tbs sugar
2-3 tbs chili powder
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs garlic powder
hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste

Put browned meat, bell peppers and onions in a large pot. Let saute for a few minutes. Add chili seasoning packets and next 8 ingredients, stirring well after each addition. Let simmer on medium-low for 30-60 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce as desired after simmering. Garnish with shredded cheese, diced onion, sour cream, etc.

No comments: