Saturday, December 13, 2008

Em's Chicken and Dumplings

Every time I make these, I make them a little bit different. I'm trying to come up with a standard recipe, though because I forget from time to time exactly what I did. The last time I made these which was for Dave's birthday this year, this is what I did to the best of my memory :).

Ingredients:
1 chicken (I bought one that was already cut into pieces by the meat department - 2 breasts, 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings)
Salt, pepper, garlic
Enough water to cover by 2-3 inches (this will be your broth)

1 can cream of mushroom or cream of celery condensed soup
1 can cream of chicken with herbs condensed soup
1 onion, chopped
Chicken bullion flakes, to taste

Dumplings: (I double or triple this recipe)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS butter
1/2 cup milk
Optional: 1 TBS dried parsley flakes

Instructions:
In a large stock pot or dutch oven, boil chicken until done in water seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. Take chicken out of broth and let cool enough to de-bone. Shred/chop chicken and add back to broth. Add chopped onion, cream soups, and chicken bullion to your taste. Season accordingly with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Let soup come up to a simmer.

Mix together dumpling dough. Pinch of bite size pieces and drop in simmering broth. Let cook 5-10 minutes without stirring. Before serving, lightly stir to incorporate dumplings. Stirring too much or too hard will cause dumplings to disintegrate and break up.

Last time I ended up adding more dumplings to the broth later because everybody loves the dumplings.

No comments: