Saturday, June 21, 2008

Heavenly Carrot Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3 cups grated/shredded carrots
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add eggs and vegetable oil and mix well; add carrots and pecans. Pour into three 8-inch or 9-inch round well-greased, floured pans. Bake for approximately 30 - 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, place on cooling rack sprayed with non-stick spray and allow to cool completely before icing.

Icing:
8 oz. package cream cheese
1 stick of butter, softened
1 box (16 oz.) powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Combine all ingredients except nuts and beat until fluffy. Stir in nuts. Frost cakes.

Quick note: Do not skimp on greasing and flouring the pans because these cakes WILL stick!
If you like carrot cake, you will be in heaven when you try this cake!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hi! I am in the process of making this now! I have been craving it since I read the original post. I hope it will turn out ok. I forgot to buy nuts at the store which is kind of a bummmer b/c I love that part. I also used half whole wheat and had to use canola oil instead of vegetable b/c that's all I had available. I'll let you know if it turns out to be edible. I sure hope so! Charlie enjoyed eating all of the grated carrots while I was adding in other ingredients!

Emily said...

Awesome! Let me know how it turned out. The oil sub is definitely no problem and I think I've used half whole wheat flour before, too.

Rebecca said...

You are right about greasing. The pan I thought was my best non stick pan that I actually greased the most was the one that still had cake stuck inside. No worries b/c Charlie found it before I could glue it back together and ate it!